all the foo that's fit to print!

2009/06/11

The New York 7 - Subway


DSCF5750, originally uploaded by robbie dee.


outside of metro Atlanta, there is a tremendous lack of mass-transportation. there are no local bus routes and there are absolutely no trains. it seems like a blessing that there are so many methods of getting around in New York and I completely miss that. there's something special about traveling by train, I just can't explain it. it's probably a little of the hustle, a bit of the bustle, and a lot of the coordination that makes it all run fluidly.

it's easily one of the two things I definitely took for granted when I lived up north (the other being beaches). I really do think I have some strange fascination with transporting the masses from here to there. I love airports and anything having to do with that - like the fact that something that large can fly or the aesthetics of air travel. the same applies with rail travel. I love train stations, the practicality and dependence on timetables, and the speed of life underground. it's something I definitely miss while down south. even though MARTA can fall into this category of public transportation, it certainly doesn't have the same feel as it does when you try to get around one of the largest cities in the country.

0 comments: