all the foo that's fit to print!

2009/06/01

Fixation Focus: Underground

about a third of the way into my summer reading adventure, I find myself even more intrigued than before I started reading Haruki Murakami's Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche. as strange as it is, I have a morbid fascination for attacks, disasters, accidents, etc. I can't do anything about it. call it what you will - disgusting, morbid, disrespective - "it is what it is". regardless, that interest is still there.

I came across this book through an article on The Guardian that is about Murakami's latest novel being a surprise seller upon its "mysterious" release in Japan. in said article, there was mention of Murakami's work with the sarin gas attack that rocked Japan over fourteen years ago. immediately, my interest piqued due to said interest in tragedies. and because my wife is an avid reader and huge fan of Murakami's previous works, I knew that this could be a worthwhile read.

honestly, I'm very pleased with the outcome of this reading experience. I'm moved tremendously by both the Japanese work ethic that is portrayed (showing up to work two hours early just because?!) within as well as the seemingly-innocent, yet saddening experiences (taking a train because it was time to get milk for the family and consequently getting gassed) of those who chose to tell their side of the events of March 20, 1995.

what's also shocking to me is how the response to these events was so... unaware? when you think about it, though, what should a hospital do when presented with one person who is complaining of breathing difficulty and vision problems? obviously I'm aware of the situation (as I can recall the news stories about it and I'm reading about it), but it's mind-blowing for me to digest that hospitals in Tokyo let those affected by the gassing to sit around for well over an hour suffering the effects of exposure to sarin.

all I'm saying here is that this is a fantastic read that brings a lot of things into perspective and reminds you how simple life is and how varied people's reactions are to the same situation.

0 comments: